I have to admit something embarrassing, I've never had home made mac and cheese....until tonight!
And it was as good as it looks. The ultimate in comfort food but with no wheat to speak of. Here's how.
- 1 lb. Gluten-free elbow pasta (I like Ancient grains quinoa pasta, tastes lovely and not gummy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbs. butter (1/2 stick)
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups milk ( I used goat for better digestibility)
- 2 tbs. arrowroot
- 2 tbs. brown rice flour
- 2 tbs. tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
Note: If you'd like to make it super easy, just use some Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour in place of ingredients after milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook noodles until almost done.
In a saucepan, bring milk slowly to a boil and then shut off heat. Make sure not to burn!
While milk is heating, melt butter in a small pot and stir in flour, cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in milk and whisk until sauce thickens up, about 4 minutes.
Next, put noodles in a baking dish.
Pour sauce over noodles, put half of cheese over top and mix lightly. Put the rest of the cheese on top.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Increase heat to broil and bake for 6 minutes more.
Best served hot! I'm going for seconds now, see ya' later. dddddd