Friday, June 8, 2012

Breakfast Porrige- gluten-free and delicious!

I have to admit, it doesn't look like much to write about, but just try it. One thing I realized after seeing this picture was that I'm in desperate need of a good camera. Most of my cooking goes on after 9pm and hence I'm trying to take pictures by oven light. 

But let's get on to the god stuff. I'm not sure what I ate for breakfast before learning how to make a good porridge. It's delicious and fills you up....not like a brick, but like a good healthy meal should. I use steal cut oats because I never particularly liked the slimy texture of rolled oats. Steel cut still have some of that sticky quality but not nearly as much. The fiber is fantastic, like a broom for your insides and has been said to decrease your chances of cancer and other diseases. It also can help those trying to maintain a healthy weight. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 apple, cut into small chunks
  • 1/4-1/2 banana, cut into small chunks
  • small amounts of cinnamon, powdered ginger, vanilla to taste
  • Add any of the following to satisfy your tastes:
    • chopped walnuts
    • sunflower seeds
    • chopped dried cherries  (while cooking)
    • dried cranberries (while cooking)
    • chopped pears
    • shredded coconut (while cooking)
    • honey, agave, maple syrup, stevia....your choice


Bring water to a boil, add oats and raisins. Boil for about 5 minutes then add the rest of your ingredients. Turn down heat to medium and make sure to stir often or you'll have burnt porridge. Add seeds and nuts at end to preserve the good fats in them. Add sweetener if desired, but with all the fruit, you may not need it. And enjoy breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment