Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Blueberry Green Smoothie


Oh, there is nothing quite like a cold smoothie on a hot summers day, or really any day for that matter. 
Now, not every smoothie is equal. The keys to a good smoothie are banana and ice. Bananas add that creamy texture and sweetness that really makes a smoothie a good one. And the ice creates a frozen treat that seems like more desert than healthy drink. 


For my boys, it takes a little extra to get them to eat anything that is a veggie. So here is where I hide them. You'd never know this smoothie has beet greens and a superfoods powder. 

Blueberry Smoothie Recipe:
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 peach, pear, or nectarine
  • 1 banana (frozen is good if you've got some)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk 
  • 1 cup beet greens, spinach, or kale (stems removed if really tough)
  • 8 ice cubes
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Green Superfood (berry flavor is good and tons of nutrients. It has wheat in it but before the seeds are produced, it's supposed to be gluten-free and works well for us)
Optional:
  • 2 tablespoons agave, honey, or maple syrup (if you want to make sure the kids will devour it)

Now, I love my new blender. I was skeptical, because it's advertised on TV. But The Ninja Professional Blender is really amazing. It has blades in the bottom, middle, and upper parts of the blender, so it works really well and fast. I must use it several times a week and it's a great smoothie maker. And when I saw two chefs standing in line to buy one, I was suckered in. 

So my point is, get out your blender.
Then, place all the ingredients in and blend away for about 1/2 minute or until smooth. Adjust with more ice or water until you get your desired consistency. I like mine like yogurt. Stick in a straw, or if you want to get fancy, add a few flowers and serve. Makes 3 large glassfuls. 





1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Amazing Grass. It's such a terrific addition to a smoothie, and you're so right that kids love smoothies, so what better way to get those greens in.

    ReplyDelete