Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Make your Own Gluten-Free Flour MIxes, top 3 best!


It's time to give you all the low down on how to make your very own gluten-free flour mix. When I run out for some odd reason (usually laziness), I turn to Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Flour Mix which does an excellent job as well.
But usually, I make a big batch of sweet rice flour blend that lasts me a month or two depending on how late I stay up to bake. This recipe is adapted from one of Carol Kininski's books (amazing flour chemist and baker!)
Of course I always leave out the xanthan gum (she recommends 4 tsp per batch) and substitute it with my flax/chia seed combo with great results.

I take a large gallon glass jar, put all the flours in, put the lid o tight, and shake, shake, shake! Store until needed.


  • 4 1/2 cups white rice flour
  • 2 cups potato starch (not flour!)
  • 1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
  • 1 cup tapioca starch
Note: Add in flax/chia seed combo per recipe, not here.

The last of the great gluten-free flour mixes that I've found is by the wise Bette Hagman. She is one of the pioneers of gluten-free cooking. This mix is called the featherlight mix and bakes well. Again, I use a big jar, put all the flours in and just give it a good shake for a few minutes.


  • 3 cups rice flour
  • 3 cups tapioca flour
  • 3 cups cornstarch (you may sub potato starch as well)
  • 3 tablespoons potato flour (not starch! Sometimes i just leave this out and it's just fine)

No comments:

Post a Comment